MASSP is a proud affliate of the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) located in Reston, Virginia. As a unified state, members are required to join both the national and state organizations. As a NASSP member, a variety of benefits flow to MASSP members that are not available to those in non-unified states. Additionally, members have access to the Principals' Legislative Action Center, which is a $6000.00 value! This allows MASSP to send Action Alerts on state policy issues. Advocacy is an important function and advantage of MASSP membership.
As a unified state, the Maryland association receives assistance with professional development costs. That assistance has helped pay for keynote speakers, in-state trainings and workshops, publications and toolkits. Being a unified state empowers our small state of Maryland to function on the scale of some of the larger states in the nation!
Maryland members also benefit from the close proximity to the NASSP office in Virginia. Maryland principals are often tapped to serve on national committees and NASSP staff can easily provide on-site support to principals at their schools. Resources and support include assistance with solving problems/issues, observing an exemplary program, or providing professional development services to staff.
Your NASSP/MASSP membership includes the following additional benefits:
- Access to $2,000,000 professional liability insurance
- Access to $1,000 legal reimbursement, for each year of continuous membership, with a cap of $10,000
- The opportunity to represent school-based administrators on statewide and national committees
- Contact information for advocacy in the state and national legislatures
- Notes from all Maryland State Board of Education meetings
- Ability to nominate colleagues for Principal of the Year and Assistant Principal of the Year awards
- Resources for National Honor Societies and Student Governments
- Resources for professional development
- Reduced rates for conferences and workshops
- A subscription to Principal Leadership magazine
Maryland is proud to boast that 3 individuals have served as NASSP President: Walter Potter, Cecil Short, and Christine Handy. Presently, Robert Motley is serving as NASSP President, and the only 3 presidents of color (Cecil, Christine & Robert) all come from Maryland!
MASSP thanks Sue Ann Tabler, Eugene Streagle, and R. Scott Pfeifer, former MASSP Executive Directors for their service to the organization. MASSP also thanks Scott Preifer for his time as a member of the NASSP Board of Directors.